The main idea behind the LEADER approach is that at the local level, citizens, business and public authorities take responsibility for identifying the municipality's real resources and needs.
The involvement of all three sectors implies an agreed joint activity for the municipality development.
The LEADER approach includes 7 key features:
1. Developing and implementing bottom-up approach based strategy
2. Area based local development strategy
3. Partnership of local people, business and public sector
4. Multi-sectoral strategy based on local needs
5. Partnership networking
7. Local Action Groups (LAGs)